Monday, November 25, 2013

Update on Storm

Just wanted to do a quick update on the storm...my thoughts haven't really changed that much since I did my first blog yesterday afternoon (scroll down if you missed it). Here's a look at the current radar as of 4:45 eastern time.  Low pressure is beginning to organize across the gulf, as a northern piece of energy dives south.  Snow is already being reported as far south as parts of Tennessee.

Some of this precipitation will make into parts of our area later tonight into tomorrow morning.  The air mass in place is frigid.  It's also dry, which means some precip will evaporate before reaching the ground at onset.  Since evaporation is a cooling process, this will help bump temperatures down a few more degrees.  Here's temperatures as of 5pm.  


Winter weather advisories are up for all areas west of the blue ridge and now even extending into parts of the piedmont...calling for up to an inch of snow/sleet and up to a tenth of an inch of ice.

I highly agree with where these have been issued...matching up pretty well with my thoughts from yesterday for the first round of precipitation.  Don't be surprised to even see areas as far east as the I95 corridor start off as a brief period of sleet/freezing rain before quickly changing over to all rain.  I don't think the heavy rain aspect should be ignored since most areas will see 1-2" with isolated locations up to 3".

Everyone will eventually be all rain by Tuesday afternoon.  The cold air should meet up with the last batch of precipitation during the day on Wednesday, allowing many to end as a brief period of snow.  I haven't had the chance to look too in-depth at this second round yet, but will definitely post more about it once we get through tomorrow morning.  Here's my call on the 2nd round I made yesterday:


Bottom line, expect school delays and closing tomorrow...especially for areas along and west of the Blue Ridge mountains.  Take caution driving in the morning...no this is not 8 inches of snow, but in my opinion-when it comes to driving at least---its worse.. since a lot of times you can't see a thin layer of freezing rain/sleet on the roadways.  

1 comment: